Antique Allis Chalmers Tractors
Allis-Chalmers came to existence in 1901 with the combination of Edward P. Allis and Company, Fraser and Chalmers Company, and Gates Iron Works. The first Allis-Chalmers tractor, the Model 10-18, was released in 1914. The 10-18, as well as the release of their next tractor models, began giving Allis-Chalmers an impeccable reputation in the farming community due to their simple designs, durability, and cost effectiveness. The tractor business went booming, and allowed acquisition of additional companies, which gave Allis-Chalmers an additional market of tilling implements, threshers, and combines.
The bright orange that is now associated with Allis-Chalmers tractors and farm implements was first used in 1929 with the release of the Model U. The Model U was the first Allis tractor that was covered in the Persian orange paint, which was credited for helping to boost sales. This trademark color can be seen deep into the fields, giving Allis a little free marketing.
The financial world for the agricultural industry began to change in the 1980s, forcing Allis-Chalmers to sell the farm equipment division to German company K-H-D AG in 1985. This sale created the company Deutz-Allis, which was later sold to AGCO in 1990. Tractors were sold under the AGCO-Allis name for a while, but Allis was eventually dropped from the name. AGCO has continued to expand the division of farm equipment over the years, largely in South America and Europe.